A meandering blog with no clear topic. You will find me talking about knitting, building, kids, social and economic issues, Alaska, and lots of other stuff.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Mt. Redoubt

We have a volcano acting up a few miles away:





This is Mt. Redoubt, located just across Cook Inlet from Anchorage. The last time it erupted was during a 4 month eruptive period from Dec. 89 to April 90, during which it erupted several times. In the last week or so, it has suddenly gotten active again, and there is a likelihood that it will erupt sometime soon.

Depending on which way the wind is blowing when it happens to erupt, the ashfall may happen over Anchorage and Wasilla. So all the stores are selling out of dust masks and vehicle air filters, just in case. We cover our computers with plastic bags when we leave for the night, as volcanic ash is extremely abrasive and damaging to electronics, and gets into everything.

Updates on the volcano are available here: http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/Redoubt.php



1 comment:

homebrewlibrarian said...

Yup, it's the same thing over in my office, too. Except that we've now, more or less permanently, got big sheets of vizqueen over the shelves holding the Talking Book Center cassette tapes. It's too much of a hassle to take them off and put them back on so now every single really huge binder clip is being pressed into service to hold the plastic out of the way during the day. Much grousing going on as well.

At home, I'm rather glad I put up shrink plastic on the older windows so that would help keep the dust level down should Redoubt belch in this direction. I just had my air filter in the car replaced but then I barely drive so I probably won't need to replace it soon even if there's ash everywhere.

I've got enough food and water stored that I wouldn't have to leave the house for months. Not that I could get away with that and still have something like an income...

Kerri