A meandering blog with no clear topic. You will find me talking about knitting, building, kids, social and economic issues, Alaska, and lots of other stuff.

Saturday, September 29, 2007

leaves are falling all around

on the rooftops
on the ground...



As you can see, it's fall. Back at the beginning of the month, when I was talking about the "summer" switch being turned off, I was right. We never got summer again after August 31.


Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been bad. We have had some beautiful sunny days that we have very much enjoyed. But the temp hasn't gotten above 65 since then, and it won't until next summer. Today, the high was 54, which is still acceptable t-shirt weather, but the lows are in the low 40's, high 30's. We will have frost by the end of this coming week.


I absolutely love fall. It is one of my favorite seasons, the others being winter, spring (aka "breakup" in Alaska) and summer. One of the interesting things about Alaskan weather is that we have four very distinct seasons, despite the jokes, but spring and fall pass very quickly. For example, fall began unequivocably on September 1st. It will end sometime around October 15th, when the snow starts to fall, and things freeze for good. But during the month and a half of fall, I enjoy it immensely. I love looking at the yellow leaves on the birch trees, and the snow on the mountains...


And I start to look forward to the first snowfall. It won't be long.


OK, so I mentioned the jokes, so I will share some.

What are Alaska's two seasons? Winter, and road construction.

What are Alaska's four seasons? almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction.


so, here is a link to some great Alaska jokes. Trouble is, they are mostly true. Like the one about driving in winter is better, because the potholes are filled with snow. I have said that numerous times. Anyway, enjoy the link:



No comments: