A meandering blog with no clear topic. You will find me talking about knitting, building, kids, social and economic issues, Alaska, and lots of other stuff.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

arctic warming

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21347288/

I know, I know, I have talked about this before. But it continues to concern me. The last time I talked about this, it was only being mentioned in a website for a university. Now the same information is being talked about on msnbc.com. The sea ice loss this year is catastrophic. But we are also losing tundra and permafrost. The arctic is changing at an increasingly rapid pace.

Further, studies now are showing that it may be too late to prevent a 2 degree rise in global temperatures. 2 degrees is the threshold experts are saying is dangerous to cross, due to feedback loops, and it may be that the only way to stop it is to completely eliminate all industrial emissions.

http://environment.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn12775&feedId=online-news_rss20

Maybe in a few years I will try growing peaches here in Alaska.

No comments: