A meandering blog with no clear topic. You will find me talking about knitting, building, kids, social and economic issues, Alaska, and lots of other stuff.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Turbulence

So, I was in Utah last week. I flew from Anchorage to Salt Lake nonstop, on the red eye. Before takeoff, while waiting to be de-iced the second time, the pilot announced over the loudspeaker that he knew it was a red-eye, so he wouldn't be on the loudspeaker a lot. I thought that was great.

So, we take off, and it was pretty bumpy. Bumpy enough that I was glad to get some altitude. The pilot came on the loudspeaker, and said since it was rough, he would leave the fasten seatbelt sign on until we reached cruising altitude. OK.

Periodically, throughout the rest of the flight, we hit turbulence. The flight was bumpy more than it was smooth. I would have been fine with that, except for the pilot. The fasten seatbelt light would turn off. Then we would hit some roughness, and it would come back on, and the pilot would tell us on the loudspeaker that the fasten seat belt sign had been turned on. Then it would turn off. Then we would hit some roughness.....

This continued for the entire five hour flight. I would have been much more content if he had simply said before take off, "Ladies and gentlemen, this is going to be a rough flight tonight. Please keep your seat belts on for the duration, unless you have an urgent need to go to the lavatory." And left it at that. At least I might have gotten some sleep.

No comments: